Welcome to Summer 2017!
Are you ready for the
LARGEST FIREWORKS SHOW
IN NORTH ALABAMA?
Join us July 4th for a day of family fun!
Children's Bike Parade registration starts at 9am.
Point Mallard Water Park is open on July 4th from 10am- 8pm.
Spirit of America Fireworks Show starts at 9pm.
Please see press release below for full details.
For additional questions, please call (256) 341-4902.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Melinda Dunn, President & CEO
Decatur/Morgan County Convention & Visitors Bureau
Celebrate Freedom at the 2017 Spirit of America Festival at Point Mallard Park
Decatur, Ala. – At the height of summer comes a special time when Americans join together to celebrate our nation’s freedom and to pause and reflect on the sacrifices military personnel and their families make every day. Each July 4th, the Spirit of America Festival attracts thousands of families to Point Mallard Park in Decatur for one of North Alabama’s largest free fireworks show. In 2017, the festival will celebrate its 51st anniversary!
More than just a fireworks celebration on the 4th of July, an awards program was developed to pay honor to the true meaning of the day. The Spirit of America Awards Luncheon, sponsored by US Foods and WoodmenLife, will be held on Monday, July 3, 2017 at 12:00 PM at Ingalls Harbor Pavilion. This invitation-only event will include the presentation of five awards to deserving citizens. Named in honor of America’s most decorated soldier and Congressional Medal of Honor recipient Audie Murphy, the Audie Murphy Patriotism Award is presented to an outstanding American patriot or an outstanding group of individuals who best exemplify the true “Spirit of America.” The Barrett C. Shelton Sr., Freedom Award was established in 1980 in honor of local newspaper publisher Barrett C. Shelton, Sr., one of the founders of the Spirit of America Festival. The award is presented to honor an Alabamian for outstanding service to his community. Added in 1994, the Humanitarian Award is presented to an individual, group or organization whose efforts have significantly contributed to the betterment of life, health and welfare of mankind and state. In 2011, the Spirit of America Festival Board of Directors introduced a new award named in honor of its first recipients, the CSM John and Brenda Perry Award for Support for Military Families to recognize the significant contributions, suffering and deprivation that military families endure, all in the support of their family members who serve in our nation’s Armed Forces. The award is to be presented to that person, group or organization that has significantly supported military families. The newest award, added in 2015, is the Bill J. Dukes Award, named in honor of the former Decatur Mayor and House of Representative member. Award winners will be announced in the coming weeks.
Decatur’s free Independence Day celebration kicks off on July 4th with the Children’s Bike Parade where patriotic decorated bikes, tricycles, wagons and strollers make their way from the TC Almon Center to the Expo Pavilion. (Former Outdoor Ice Rink) There is no fee to participate in the Bike Parade; however, registration is required beginning at 9:00 a.m. at TC Almon. First, second, and third place prizes for best decorated will be presented during an awards ceremony at the Expo. After the parade, children and their families are invited to enjoy games and play on inflatables from 10:00am-12:00pm. The Children’s Bike Parade is sponsored by Chick-fil-A of Decatur.
Families are also invited to enjoy a day at the Point Mallard Waterpark, home to America’s first wave pool! The J. Gilmer Blackburn Aquatic Center also offers a kiddy pool area, pro bowl slide, sky pond, lazy river, flume slides, and speed slides. A separate fee for admission to the waterpark is charged and the waterpark will stay open until 8:00 p.m. Following a fun filled day in the waterpark, guests can walk over to the Spirit of America field to enjoy the fireworks.
The Spirit of America Field will open to guests at 6:00 p.m. so that families can pick out a prime viewing location to enjoy the dazzling fireworks show, which starts at 9:00 p.m. Local vendors will be there so that you may indulge on lemonade, shaved ice, funnel cakes, pizza, hamburgers or hotdogs. Guests are reminded to please leave pets at home and that tents and golf carts are not allowed on the SOA field. Handicapped and VIP Event Sponsor parking are available at the Ice Rink. Sponsor and/or handicapped parking passes must be shown to event officials to access these areas.
NARCOG Transit will be providing shuttle service for the 2017 Spirit of America Fireworks Event at Point Mallard Park in Decatur. The shuttle will run from two locations:
GE plant on Point Mallard Parkway - 2328 Point Mallard Dr. SE – approximately 5 to 10 minute trip
Downtown Decatur - Pickup from the Princess Theatre - 112 Second Ave. NE – approximately 15 minute trip
Shuttle wristbands are $2 and allow each person that makes a purchase, unlimited rides to and from the event site and will allow for easy access when leaving the event. The shuttle will run from 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM on the day of the event, July 4, 2017. Last call for downtown parking will be at 10:45 PM FIRM. You must be ready to board at that time. Correct change must be used. Drivers do not carry change and do not accept debit or credit cards. Wristbands may be purchased before the event at the NARCOG Transit Office, located at 401 2nd Ave Se, Decatur, AL. Office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Correct change must be used. Office staff do not have change and do not accept debit or credit cards. This service is open to the public and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status.
The night sky will be illuminated with North Alabama’s largest fireworks display beginning at 9:00 p.m. and will be simulcast on WDRM 102.1 FM. The 2017 fireworks show is made possible through the support of presenting sponsors Hexcel, Pepsi, the Morgan County Commission and Decatur Morgan County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Point Mallard Park is located at 2901 Point Mallard Drive in Decatur, Alabama along the scenic banks of the Tennessee River. Admission to the festival is free; but waterpark admission is separate. For more information please call 256-341-4902 or visit www.spiritofamericafestival.com or visit its Facebook page.
About The Decatur-Morgan County Convention & Visitors Bureau (DMCCVB)
The Decatur-Morgan County Convention & Visitors Bureau is a not-for-profit organization promoting tourism and economic growth in Morgan County. For information on special events and attractions in Decatur, contact the DMCCVB at 800.524.6181 or 256.350.2028; or visit its website at www.decaturcvb.org and click on the “Things to Do” link.
It's contest time!
Gulf Coast Jam Prize Giveaway.
Register for a chance to win the GRAND PRIZE which includes 2 tickets to the Gulf Coast Jam at Panama City Beach.
You could also win one of 8 weekly prize packs. Giveaway sponsored by Pepsi, Point Mallard, The Railyard and WZDX.
Please see official rules below.
Win Your Way to Gulf Coast Jam Sweepstakes
- Sponsors. This sweepstakes (“Sweepstakes”) is sponsored by WZDX-TV (“Station”), 1309 Memorial Parkway NW Huntsville AL 35801 and Pepsi of Decatur 62 Ipsco Street Decatur AL 35601, Point Mallard Water Park 2901 Point Mallard Drive SE Decatur AL 35602, The Railyard 209 2nd Avenue SE Decatur AL 35601 (collectively, the “Sponsor(s)”). This Sweepstakes is void where taxed, restricted, or prohibited and is subject to all local, state, and federal laws. By entering this Sweepstakes, each entrant accepts and agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor(s), which shall be final and not subject to appeal.
- Eligibility. No purchase necessary to enter. The Sweepstakes is open to permanent legal U.S. residents who reside within WZDX-TV’s viewing area and who are at least 19 years of age at the time of entry. Current or former employees of WZDX-TV, Nexstar Media Group, Inc. and its subsidiaries, the other Sponsors, the other television and radio stations and multichannel video programming distributors in WZDX-TV’s viewing area, their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising or promotional agencies (including anyone who prepares and/or distributes Sweepstakes materials), and the immediate family members or persons living in the same household (whether related or not) of all the foregoing are not eligible to participate or win. The term “immediate family members” includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
Participants are eligible to win a WZDX-TV contest or sweepstakes only once every 60 days. Only one winner per household is permitted in any contest or sweepstakes. Participants are eligible to win a prize valued at $600.00 or more only once every six months. Text, data, or messaging rates may apply.
- Entry. This Sweepstakes will begin on June 19, 2017 at 12:00AM CDT and end on August 25, 2017 at 6:00PM CDT. To enter the Sweepstakes, entrants must visit Point Mallard Water Park 2901 Point Mallard Drive SE Decatur AL 35602 to complete an entry form. Entrants must include their name, phone number, e-mail address and date of birth in order to enter. Alternately, entrants may mail their entry to Point Mallard Water Park 2600-C Point Mallard Drive SE Decatur AL 35601. Mailed entries must also include name, phone number, e-mail address and date of birth. Incomplete entries will not be considered. All entries must be received by August 18, 2017 at 5:00PM CDT. One (1) entry per person will be accepted.
Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for technical or computer, telephone service outages, delays, equipment malfunctions, busy signals, hang-ups, errors or data loss of any kind, lost or unavailable connections, or late, lost, failed, illegible, incomplete, garbled or deleted entries, transmissions, or voicemails or other network or technological difficulties that may prevent an individual from completing his/her telephone call or online entry, or for printing errors in any advertisement, entry form, or the rules.
An entrant may use only one email address to submit entries during the Sweepstakes. If an entrant uses multiple email addresses to submit more than one entry per day, the entrant will be disqualified. For entries submitted online, entries will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. The authorized account holder is the natural person who is assigned to the e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization that is responsible for assigning the e-mail address or the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Any automated or computer-generated entries, fake or duplicate identities, spam, or improper techniques (as determined by the Sponsor(s)) will be disqualified. Any questions regarding the validity, completeness, or number of entries submitted by an individual or the identity of the authorized account holder of an e-mail address, phone number, or social media profile shall be determined by Sponsor(s) in its/their sole discretion. The Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to disqualify any entrant who acts in a disruptive, harassing, vulgar, or unsportsmanlike manner, as determined by the Sponsor(s) in its/their sole discretion.
Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. If the Sponsor(s) determine(s), in its/their sole discretion, that there is any suspected or actual tampering with the Sweepstakes (electronic or otherwise) or if technical difficulties (e.g. infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor(s)) compromise the security, fairness, integrity or administration of the Sweepstakes, the Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to void the entries at issue and/or modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the Sweepstakes and conduct a random drawing to award the prize among all eligible entries received as of the termination date. If the Sweepstakes is terminated due to tampering or technical difficulties prior to its expiration date, notice will be posted online at www.rocketcitynow.com. Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to disqualify any entrant that tampers with the operation of the Sweepstakes or website or violates the Official Rules of the Sweepstakes. Entries not conforming to announced entry specifications will not be acknowledged or returned.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND/OR CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO PROSECUTE OR SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
By entering this Sweepstakes, entrant acknowledges and agrees that all entries become the property of the Sponsors and will not be returned or acknowledged. To be eligible, an entry must be the entrant’s original photograph, may not have been entered in any other Sweepstakes, won any other prize or have been previously published in any other medium. In connection with an entrant’s submission, the entrant affirms, represents, and/or warrants that: (i) you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents and permissions to use and authorize the Sponsors to use all copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights in and to such submission to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the manner contemplated by these Sweepstakes rules; and (ii) if applicable, entrant has the written consent, release and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person in the submission to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the matter contemplated by these Sweepstakes rules. The Sponsors reserve the right to reject and disqualify any submissions that do not meet the terms and conditions of these Sweepstakes rules.
- Odds of Winning. The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Prize(s). There will be 8 preliminary winners and 1 grand prize winner in this Sweepstakes. Each Friday after 5:00PM CDT, one preliminary winner will be randomly selected from all eligible entries received for that week. The preliminary winners will be selected on 06/30/2017, 07/07/2017, 07/14/2017, 07/21/2017, 07/28/2017, 08/04/2017, 08/11/2017, 08/18/2017. Winner(s) will be notified that they won by phone. The winners will receive 1 $40 gift card to The Railyard restaurant, 4 passes to Point Mallard Water Park ($80 value), 1 Gulf Coast Jam T-shirt ($12 value), 1 case of Pepsi sodas ($8 value). The approximate retail value of the preliminary prize is $140. Entrants can win only one preliminary prize.
The grand prize winner will be randomly selected on August 25, 2017 after 5:00PM CDT from the list of preliminary winners and notified by phone. The grand prize winner will receive two 3-Day passes to Pepsi Gulf Coast Jam September 1-3, 2017 and a $500 VISA gift card. The approximate retail value of the grand prize is $1378.
The potential winners will be contacted by a representative of the Sponsors, and must reply within 24 hours to maintain eligibility. If a potential winner cannot be contacted within this time period or fails to respond to any attempted contact, such potential winner will be disqualified, his/her entry will be declared null and void and the Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to select the eligible entry with the next-highest number of votes, in which event these provisions shall apply to such other eligible entry. The Sponsors also reserve the right to ask for proof to validate the authenticity of the photo submitted. If, in the Sponsors’ sole judgment and discretion, valid proof of the photo’s authenticity is not provided, the Sponsors reserve the right to choose another potential winner by the process referred to above.
All results are unofficial until winner(s) is/are verified by the Sponsor(s). Prizes may not be exchanged, substituted, transferred or redeemed for other prizes by winner. Cash will not be awarded as a substitute for prize. Prizes are awarded ‘as is’ with no guarantees or warranties as to use, merchantability, or fitness for a specific purpose, and the Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for defective prizes. Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to substitute a prize in their sole discretion without an on-air or off-air announcement, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. Other terms and conditions may apply.
- Conditions for Acceptance of the Prize(s). The winner(s) must claim the prize(s) in-person at the Station, located at 1309 Memorial Parkway NW Huntsville AL 35801, during regular business hours (Monday – Friday from 8:30AM CDT – 5:00PM CDT). Prize(s) will not be mailed under any circumstances. The prize(s) must be claimed by August 31, 2017 at 5:00PM CDT or it/they will be forfeited. Winner(s) will be required to provide a valid government issued photo identification card and to execute an affidavit of eligibility and publicity and liability release prior to receiving their prize(s). The Station may require the winner’s guests, invitees, or travel companions to sign liability releases prior to receiving the prize. All unclaimed or rejected prizes will be forfeited. Failure by the winner(s) to respond to the Station’s messages, calls, e-mails or other notification will lead to forfeiture of the prize(s). Failure to completely fill out and sign all waivers, releases, or forms requested by the Station will result in forfeiture of the prize(s). The Station then has the right, at its discretion, to award that prize to another winner using the method described above. A winner who forfeits any prize is not eligible to win another contest or sweepstakes conducted by the Station for thirty (30) days.
Payment of all federal, state and local taxes is the sole responsibility of the winner(s) and the winner(s) may receive an IRS 1099 Form or equivalent from the Sponsor(s). The Sponsor(s) will report any individual winnings over $600 (in cash or fair market value of goods or services) in a one year period to the Internal Revenue Service. Winner(s) is/are required to fill out any tax forms requested by the Sponsor(s) in order to receive their prize(s).
Winner(s) will be solely responsible for any and all license and registration fees, accommodations, transportation costs, gratuities and all other items of an incidental nature. All expenses on receipt and use of prize(s) are the sole responsibility of the winner(s), the Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for any weather changes or extenuating circumstances relating to a prize received. The Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for replacing or reimbursing winners with any form of compensation for events that are delayed or canceled. All delays and cancellations are deemed beyond the control of the Sponsor(s). This includes, but is not limited to, event cancellations, trip schedule changes, flight cancellations, changes in travel arrangements, travel delays of any form and duration, game cancellations and delays, as well as all acts of nature. The Sponsor(s) is/are not responsible for any expenses incurred by Sweepstakes winners as a result of such delays or cancellations. Sponsor(s) will not be responsible for failure to supply the prize(s) by reason of any force majeure events, such as acts of God, war, terrorist attacks, unusually severe weather, labor strikes, or other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor(s).
By accepting the prize, the winner or winners agree to have their name, voice, likeness, biographical information, and entry materials used in any advertising or broadcasting material relating to this Sweepstakes, and in any media whatsoever, including the Station and on www.rocketcitynow.com, for any purpose whatsoever, worldwide, in perpetuity, without any further authorization or compensation to the winner(s).
- Social Media. For contests or sweepstakes conducted or promoted on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, iHeartRadio, or any other social media website (each a “Social Media Site” and collectively the “Social Media Sites”), the Sponsors reserve the right to void any entrant’s entry in the Sweepstakes for failure to abide by the guidelines, policies, or procedures of the applicable Social Media Site, and to delete or remove any of entrant’s related “Likes,” comments, posts, tweets, videos, photos, user generated content, or other electronic messages, communications, or submissions at their discretion. The Sponsors also reserve the right to block, ignore, report, and/or completely prevent any entrant, account, user, or profile from accessing the Sweepstakes and/or the Sponsors’ profile(s), account(s), website(s), blog(s) or handle(s). This Sweepstakes is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with the Social Media Sites. By entering this Sweepstakes, entrants agree to release and hold the Social Media Sites harmless from any or all claims, liability, damages, judgments, fines, costs, expenses related to or associated with their participation in this Sweepstakes. Entrants understand that by logging-in to the applicable Social Media Site, that they agree to comply with the Social Media Site’s Terms of Service, and that their personal information is subject to the Privacy Policies and information collection practices of the Social Media Site. Entrants agree that the Sponsors are not responsible for the collection, disclosure, transfer, or dissemination of their personal information, whether directly or indirectly, by third party advertisers, marketers, or any other transferees. For entries submitted through the Social Media Sites, the Sponsors may be limited to using the information in a manner set forth by the Social Media Sites and in no other way.
- Limitation on Liability. Sponsor(s) disclaim(s) all liabilities to the winner(s) with respect to receipt and use of the prize(s). Winners and their guests or travel companions, by acceptance of their prize(s), agree to release and hold the Sponsor(s) and its/their affiliated companies, their advertising, promotion and production agencies, and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, shareholders, directors, employees, agents and representatives harmless from any and all liability, claims, causes of actions, damages, fines, and costs of any kind whatsoever (including reasonable attorney’s fees) which may be sustained directly or indirectly to persons or property in connection with the receipt, ownership or use of the prize or while preparing for, participating in, and/or traveling to any Sweepstakes or prize-related activity.
- Reservation of Rights. Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to make changes to these Official Rules in their sole discretion which will become effective upon announcement. Sponsor(s) reserve(s) the right to cancel or terminate this Sweepstakes for any reason in the event that it cannot be run or administered as intended by the Sponsor(s). Any such changes or termination will be announced on www.rocketcitynow.com.
- Contact Information. For questions or more information about this Sweepstakes, please contact WZDX-TV at 1309 Memorial Parkway NW Huntsville AL 35801. For a copy of these rules, addendum, and/or list of winners please go to www.rocketcitynow.com or send a self-addressed stamped envelope to WZDX-TV within sixty (60) days of the end of this Sweepstakes.
Want to have more fun at Point Mallard?
Point Mallard Park is proud to partner with Fort Hampton Outfitters to bring you more summer fun at a great price. Rent a Kayak or SUP (stand up paddle board) starting at $10. See www.forthamptonoutfitters.com for complete pricing and information.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Jason Lake, Assistant Director
City of Decatur Parks and Recreation Department
Point Mallard Park Issues Important Tips for a
Safe and Healthy Waterpark Experience
Decatur, Ala. (May 19, 2017 ) Summer is almost here and the J. Gilmer Blackburn Point Mallard Aquatic Center is ready to start its 47th season of operation. To provide for a safe and healthy waterpark experience for all guests and make this the best season yet, the park offers these important recommendations for our guests this summer. Point Mallard endorses the following CDC recommendations:
- Don’t swim or let your kids swim if sick with diarrhea.
- If diarrhea is caused by crypto, wait until two weeks after diarrhea has stopped to go swimming.
- Don’t swallow the water in which you swim.
- Rinse off in the shower before getting in the water to help remove any germs on your body that could contaminate the water.
- Take kids on bathroom breaks often, and check diapers in a diaper-changing area and not right next to the pool.
Guests are also reminded that hydration during the summer months is very important and to stay hydrated during your stay at the park. Please use sunscreen and dress appropriately for a day in the sun.
Point Mallard Park seeks your partnership in regards to these recommendations to make this a safe and happy season for all guests. Thank you so much to our guests for many years of fun in the sun. We can’t wait to kick off a new season on Memorial Day weekend, Saturday, May 27 at 10am. For more information please contact Point Mallard Park at 256-341-4900 or www.pointmallardpark.com
Point Mallard Park offers the great outdoors like you've never experienced it before! Hidden among North Alabama‘s wooded pines, the 750+-acre family park lets you stay in tune with nature 365 days a year.
Come play 18 holes on one of the South‘s best golf courses, stay in our 25-acre, wooded campground, visit America's first wave pool at our seasonal Waterpark, and/or cool off in the indoor ice skating rink!
Point Mallard's additional facilities include tennis courts, batting cages, a 3 mile hiking/jogging/biking trail, and a driving range. We are also proud to be the host site for several impressive annual events such as the Soul Stock Christian Music Festival, the Alabama Jubilee Memorial Day Weekend, The Spirit of America Festival July 4th, Greater Tennessee Valley Antique Car Show, The Wet Dog Triathlon, and the Battle for Decatur, Civil War Reenactment held Labor Day weekend.
Point Mallard has provided FUN for the ENTIRE FAMILY since 1970!
Point Mallard is located just a few minutes off I-65 midway between Nashville, TN, and Birmingham, AL, at Decatur Exit 340 or Decatur Exit 334. The park is open 365 days a year and is owned and operated by The City of Decatur, Department of Parks & Recreation.